Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Well. We took my daughters 2013 Accent to have the interior…

Customer Question
Well. We took...

Well. We took my daughters 2013 Accent to have the interior shampoo'd and the car detailed and now the airbag warning light is on and won't go off. What do I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The red "Airbag Warning Light" in the instrument panel is on and won't shut off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

How do I get the light to go off or reset without taking it to the dealership?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/24/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your issue, and what has more than likely happened, is that during the shampooing process, damage was done to one of the seat belt pretensioner connections. This could have be cause by the water, or the scrubbing. What needs to happen, is that the vehicle needs to be scanned for codes by a capable scanner. I would actually try to clear the code first, then scan the vehicle again to see if it comes back. If the code/light does not come back, then you should not worry. If the code does come back, the indicated circuit will be the issue and testing will need to be done. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits with the areas of concern highlighted.

You first step is the have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes to identify the area of concern.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Sorry. All of this is like a foreign language to me. I'll just take it to the dealership on Monday. Thanks
Please cancel this order. I wish to be removed from this and money credited back. Thank you!

You are welcome for the free information.

Hyundai Mechanic: DSMtuner, Collision Tech replied 4 months ago
DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech
Hey there Jake here.I just wanted to mention that the majority of the time this is caused by the detail shop removing the front seats without first disconnecting the battery or not getting the connections secured whe re-I stalling the seat connectors because the seats can have air bags in them and a passengers side occupant sensor.
Regardless though, now that the airbag light is on, the ONLY way to reset it is with a scan tool. Airbag and SRS faults will not clear by disconnecting the battery unfortunately.
Your dealer will easily be able to do that for you.Good luck with your dealer, if you have concerns about there suggestions let me know.
Appreciate it. Already talked to Service manager at dealership. Will take care of it on Monday.
Sounds good, sorry for your troubles.
Just never had this happen before and thought I could fix it. Have a good evening!
Thanks you too!

Just wanted to check in and see how you made out?