Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just went to get my oil changed and they said there’s water…

Just went to get...

Just went to get my oil changed and they said there’s water in there after looking at the dipstick. It’s just Walmart so all they did was suggest where to go.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Probably 4-500 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, I just want to make sure it’s safe to drive home. I have about 45 miles to get back

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

3/24/2018
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

Did they say how much or anyone get a picture of what they were seeing?

If it was just a little white sludge on the full line of the stick and the bottom of the cap there is nothing to worry about but if it was several inches of chocolate milk sludge then you need to get it towed.

I just looked myself and there’s some rust colored chunks at the end of the dipstick
Do you want a picture?

Yes please, paperclip icon allows you to attach files.

Ok one sec

Ok

I don't see anything to be concerned with there, you are safe to drive it home. Can you open the fill cap and get a picture of the bottom of it please?

just a moment. I would chalk this up to a poorly informed Walmart mechanic and I plan on still getting my oil changed because it’s a bit past due

I would try to find a certified independent shop to do your work for you. They are about the same cost as Walmart but have far more experience.

You don't have water in the oil. Everything looks normal. Drive it with confidence and get it serviced at a shop doing full service work.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If nothing further please complete the rating

Thank you

Awesome, thank you. I will take it over to a Jiffy Lube or something.

Noooooo! Stay out of the chains. They don't pay enough to be able to hire quality techs. If you have a zipcode let me know and I will see if there is someone near you that I can recommend

Oh haha ok. 98277 or 98278
Or 98249 is actually where I’m headed back to

Now I understand. Is one place better than another for you?

Port Townsend, Anacortes or closer to I-5?

Port Townsend requires a ferry, Anacortes is the wrong direction. I’m looking for Oak Harbor, WA or Freeland, WA

Ok, then try

Mechanical Services

Phone:(###) ###-####

5034 Mutiny Bay Rd.
Freeland, Washington 98249

That is about the only shop I have closer to you. You might ask your friends who they use. As long as it is not a chain and they service Asian vehicles you will be in a far better place than any of the chains.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Ok thanks for the help

Glad I could help, please let me know if you have questions in the future.