Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How can I test my ecu and tcm on my 2002 2.7 Santa Fe? I…

How can I test...

How can I test my ecu and tcm on my 2002 2.7 Santa Fe? I have a p1602 error code and my fuses are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

188k miles. Yes I have a code reader

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked all of the ecu fuses in the engine compartment and the dash fuse boxes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Transmission is in limp mode. Speedometer and odometer do not work as well.

3/24/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

This code is set due to either a short or open in CAN line or contact resistance in connectors, so you will need a voltmeter for testing the lines. I have attached the precise testing directions for you that include the connector pinouts showing you exactly what and how to test

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

This looks like exactly what I needed. Thank you.

you are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
I have a snow storm all day today. I will not be able to try these steps until tomorrow. I do not see where this is not what I need to try the next step if diagnostic get what my issue is.

HI,

If all wiring and connectors test good, then replace TCM, but although I dont see this code much, I have yet to have one with bad TCM.

I know that it is usually a fuse but, unfortunately mine are good. This was getting close to being the first time where I was going to bring my car to a shop. Thank you for the document to test this.

you are welcome

Do you possible have any documentation for replacing the tcm if that is what I need to do?
If I am correct in where I think it is located, it looks fairly easy to replace.
thank you so much. I was sure this is what I was looking at yesterday when I pulled the cover off.

you are welcome