Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2012 santa fe is making a banging noise usually when I…

Customer Question
My 2012 santa fe...

My 2012 santa fe is making a banging noise usually when I make a turn. sounds like its coming from the rear end. any clues? awd

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The noise is coming from the rear end! seems mostly when you make a right turn! its been happening off and on for about a month

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No! nothing so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Some one said possibly needs the differential oil changed?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
3/24/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does it happen only when it's a tight turn? Like into a parking spot or driveway?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Most of the time
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 30 days ago

Sorry for the delay in my answer, I don't work on Sundays.

If you do hear this while going straight, then I would suspect the differential has an issue. I would look for any oil leaking out of the front of it to indicate a problem with one of the bearings.

If you hear this mostly on tight turns, that indicates a possible problem with the transfer case. If it's binding it will make some banging and clunking when you make the tight turns that will sound like it's coming from the back of the car. This is because all 4 wheels are trying to turn at the same speed as you make the corner.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.

Thank you so much!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to earn a 5 star rating from you.

Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 25 days ago

Do you need more help with this?
If not please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician