Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had the stop light switch go out and was replaced. Noticed…

Customer Question
Had the stop light...

Had the stop light switch go out and was replaced. Noticed the cruise control on our 2005 HYUNDAI

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?

2.7 L. Didn't get to finish my message above. The cruise control light on the dash doesn't come on but the button on th left console works fine. Cruise control doesn't work after replacing the stop light switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Hyundai?

GL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. Replaced the stop light switch above the brake pedal. Adjusted it so the plunger is just right. Where is the fuse located that controls the cruise control? Not on the dash! Not indicated in the manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well, my L rear door lock actuator is making clicking noise when operated. After maybe 5 or 10 times pushing the key button it will finally operate.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
3/24/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

what model is your 2005 hyundai? sonata?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2005 Hyundai Sonata GL with 2.7l engine
Hyundai Mechanic: DSMtuner, Collision Tech replied 1 month ago
DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech

Hey there, Jake here.

Was your cruise working fine prior to replacing the brake switch?

If so obviously double check the brake switch just to make sure it's not making contact. If it does you need to inspect the cruise cancel switch next to it, it may need adjusted itself.

I would be concerned that its a power issue unless none of the steering wheel controls work.

Hyundai Mechanic: DSMtuner, Collision Tech replied 30 days ago
i just wanted to check back and see if you still needed assistance? If so let me know I can walk you through whatever you need. If not just be sure to leave a kind rating please.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Jake, your answer was of zero help and even quite confusing. The cruise control was working fine until the brake lights came on and stayed on. I replaced and correctly adjusted the 1/8th inch clearance of the switch and made sure, before your unhelpful advice I received, that no contact between switch and brake pedal arm occurs. I also checked both interior fuse box and that under the hood for a burnt fuse. Nothing, and no fuse shows cruise control, only taillights fuses which were fine. I took off the steering wheel cruise control module, disassembled it, checked for any electrical brakes and blew it with an air can to remove any dirt or debris. Nothing. Per my Sonata manual I checked the applicable vacuum hoses and links; all ok. So, I'm still stymed. Which is when I went to answers.com in hoping to get a better answer than I did. Grrrr.
Hyundai Mechanic: DSMtuner, Collision Tech replied 29 days ago
I apologize as there seems to be some confusion from my last response. I was referring to the cancel switch and NOT the brake switch.I was concerned if ALL the steering wheel controls stopped working or if it was just the cruise switch. In which case the rotary couplIng (I.e. spiral cable) could be suspect.Generally when the brake switch is at fault the cruise light still comes on, your just unable to set it (flashes) indicating a fault. So if the cruise light never even comes on then it’s more likely the switch assembly itself that’s bad or a power issue to it.The fuse for the cruise should be at the interior dash panel.
DSMtuner
DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech