Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Elantra Limited. After driving at hiway speeds, engine…

2013 Elantra Limited. After...

2013 Elantra Limited. After driving at hiway speeds, engine temperature guage hits top and red temperature and bell sounds. It cools down a little at idle.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

Yes coolant is full checking through radiator cap. Mileage is 89000.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra Limited yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to give the mechanic some direction so that troubleshooting doesn't cost too much.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. Would a blown head gasket do this. I have changed oil and checked radiator fluid and see no cross contamination.

3/23/2018
DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech
Hey there, thanks for the question.Does the temp gauge shoot up erraticly fast? Or a steady creep to hot?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
From cold engine start, temperature comes up to normal level in first 5 minutes of street traffic driving. The outside air temperature is 75F. Once I accelerate to freeway speeds, the temperature comes up within 2 minutes to top and red gage/bell go off.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
If I stop and let it idle, the temperature drops slightly, but if I open the hood, there is not sense of high heat from engine or radiator, and no venting out of radiator.

so when you stop the vehicle the engine temp gauge is still on HOT, but no symptoms of overheating?

A head gasket can defiantly cause the engine temp to spike under acceleration, thats pretty normal symptom. Generally though we will see the temp stay hot at idle, because the air in the cooling system effects circulation and so it won't circulate at idle well.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
It takes a couple of minutes for it to cool down a little when idling. A mechanic added some expensive sealant in the radiator side to try to seal a leaking head gasket (in case that was the problem), but it made no difference in symptoms.

Yea, that stuff is absolutely worthless. When it does seal it's just long enough to make you think its fixed only to have it reoccur 2 months later.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Would a defective thermostat give these symptoms?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Or a defective sensor?

if you had a defective thermostat they can fail 2 ways. open or closed, an open thermostat would not allow the engine to warm up, and a closed one would not allow circulation at all which cause overheating regardless of driving of not.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
How can I check for a defective head gasket? Compression check on each cylinder?

A faulty sensor usually fails in hot or cold position, not fluctuating.

I would advise a leak down test or a block test to verify the HG and go from there. Neither are very difficult to perform and very accurate.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK. I'll get the mechanic to start with that. Hate to do a $1350.00 head gasket job on 89,000 mile car.

yes, i understand completely.

Those test will verify the head gasket before wasting anymore time or money.

if you need anything else just let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating is all i ask. Thanks.

DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech

thanks, ***** ***** be here if you need me,

DSMtuner
DSMtuner
DSMtuner, Collision Tech