Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Hyundai Accent 1.6L automatic I'm trying to identify…

2011 Hyundai Accent 1.6L automaticI'm...
2011 Hyundai Accent 1.6L automaticI'm trying to identify the main issue with my car.My 2011 Hyundai Accent has been cutting out engine power while driving.
It's occurred twice now, first time I was stopped at a light and I had to push it over to the side of the road.
Then it wouldn't start again until a few hours later. (which it started no problem, keep in mind the headlights and interior lights worked fine throughout the car engine cutting.
The second time I was proceeding down the road and same scenario occurred only the rpm tachometer was rapidly ascending/descending before it stopped working altogether for a few days.
Even though the tachometer momentarily stopped, the car cutting in and out still got me the last two blocks home. Once I pulled into my driveway and turn off the key, the car refused to turn over, it would only crank.
Somedays it will start fine, but cut out later in the day while driving, and other days it will ONLY CRANK but won't turn over.When researching symptoms online I suspect one of these:
-crank sensor
-ignition coils
-loose grounds
-damaged cluster fuse
-fuel pump
-injector signal
-knock sensor
-camshaft sensor
-crankshaft sensorAny thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
3/22/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when the car is running?

Oddly enough no.

Ok, the symptom with the tach really points to the crank position sensor losing signal. This would cause the car to lose fuel and spark and stop it from starting. Sometimes this doesn't set a code. It's not that common, but even with my own personal experience with one of these the crank sensor was bad. The car kept stalling like this, but until it stored a code I couldn't determine what the problem was.

The tach gets the engine speed signal from the crank sensor, so I think I would replace that sensor. I am fairly confident it will solve the problem for you. I would say high 90% range.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Fanastic! Thank you kindly Mike!
I will get the crank position sensor replaced ASAP and report back when I confirm its working.

You are very welcome and please do!

It was my sisters car that pulled this on me, that's why I think it's the most likely culprit!

Thank you for the rating!

After replacing the crankshaft sensor myself, my 2011 Hyundai Accent is back up and running, Thanks again for the fast, efficient assistance/solution!
I'll be sure to refer back to you for any and all future Hyundai questions.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating, I really appreciate it.