Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS. The Ac is warm, but is…

Hello, I have a 2012...
Hello, I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS. The Ac is warm, but is holding pressure so no leaks. The compressor turns on, I can see the clutch engage when I turn the AC on inside the car. The pressure however is way too high at 70-80PSI even while the compressor is going. I just tried a used climate control unit from a car off the junkyard, did nothing. Any ideas? Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, do you have a high side reading with the compressor on?

I don’t sorry, I don’t have a real AC manifold, just a janky one you can get at autozone

I understand, It could be one of two things and most likely the 1st

1. expansion valve stuck open, this explains high low side pressure and no cooling with clutch engaged

2. Internally failed compressor, this would be high low side and low high side pressure. If you didn't hear any bad rattling this can be pretty much ruled out.

The expansion valve is on the firewall and will require evacuating the system,replacement then vacuuming and recharging. You just remove the hose assembly then the retaining bolts to replace it. Total system capacity is 14.8oz of refrigerant.

Ok, that sounds correct right. I don’t hear any rattling and the system isn’t losing any pressure while the compressor is on so I’m going to try replacing expansion valve. Thanks so much!

That should take care of it. You're welcome, it's been my pleasure to help.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician