Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just acquired a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that has a minor…

Customer Question
I just acquired a...

I just acquired a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that has a minor fender bender and deployed the airbags. I am looking for replacement airbags and related systems and info on how to replace them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, how fast were you going and what did you hit?

Not me. I bought the car in it's current state

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am restoring the vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will be replacing the steering wheel bag and complete dash and bezel

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
3/20/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER replied 1 month ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER

Hi, my name is ***** ***** can I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Tim, I just acquired a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - Style GLS/LX 4DR SUV
Engine: 2.7L V6
Previous owner had a minor fender bender that deployed the airbags and I'm replacing those and the dash & bezel.
I would appreciate some guidelines and advice on the project.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN# *****

did either of the front seat belt pretensioners blow?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is unknown. How would I find that out?

both front seats have pretensioners in them, when the airbags deploy, it fires the pretensioners and locks them solid, check to see if both seat belts come out and retract,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will check. In either case, what needs to be done?

if they are free, then you dont have to replace them, if either is locked, you will need to replace that one, and along with the blown airbags that went off, you will need to have the AIRBAG module reset or replaced, once they fire, they wont work until this is done,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What's involved in replacing the dash? any special tools & clips?

I can post a file containing the procedure for replacing the crash pad if you like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any other illustrations and guides.
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For the Dash and bezel

ok, give me a minute to put together those files, hang tight

do you have microsoft word on your computer?

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician