Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Second opinion] I took my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe in to a

repair shop yesterday for an...
Second opinion] I took my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe in to a repair shop yesterday for an unrelated issue, and the mechanic took me into the shop to show my fluid stains on the right tie rod boot. He indicated that the rack and pinion steering "rack" would have to be replaced. I asked him to provide a quote for the work. It included $533 for Rack And Pinion Complete;, $344 for Steering Gear Adjust All Applicable; (3 of these at $115 each), and $56 for Outer Steering Tie Rod;. The total for all of this, before taxes, was ~$935. I told him I would have to review this and get back to him. Does all this sound reasonable to you? What is a steering gear and why would 3 of them be required? Aren't those already part "rack" he already quoted? Bot***** *****ne, does the proposed work sound appropriate and is the cost reasonable?
3/19/2018
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

I don't understand the charge either.

To replace the rack (yes it should be replaced) the rack steering gear is removed and a complete assembly installed. Then you align the wheels.

You should expect to spend 5.0 hours labor on a 2WD vehicle plus the alignment. This may total $6-700 for the labor depending on the shop labor rate. The part is about $200 so the total is correct just not using familiar terminology.

This is enough money to get a second opinion or "shop the job" to at least one more independent shop.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thanks

George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
That's what I needed to know. I will take to another shop and get a "second opinion". Hopefully, it will be a bit lower and make more sense than the quote I got from the first shop. Thank you!