Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I its cold and cant turn the key in my ignition of my 2009…

Customer Question
I its cold and...

I its cold and cant turn the key in my ignition of my 2009 Hyundai sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The key is fine and. The steering wheel can move about 4 inches cow and ccccw

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im trying to start the car. I tried to jam my key forcefully and turn the key which works sometimes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else. It was working last night

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any answer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s been a half hour?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: davehop, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the problem isn't the key, the tumblers inside of your ignition lock cylinder are worn and getting jammed, which is causing the key to not be able to turn. The ignition lock cylinder needs to be replaced. You can try to spray some WD-40 inside of the lock cylinder to attempt to loosen up the tumblers, but the lock cylinder needs to be replaced.
Please rate my answer to your question....I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer....if you are not satisfied with my answer, please continue to ask questions until you are satisfied. Thank you for using JA.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The wd40 didn’t work but the locksmith from AAA was able to fix it
davehop
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician