Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Terracan starts very good when cold, but refuses to start…

Hello, my Terracan starts...

Hello, my Terracan starts very good when cold, but refuses to start when warm...

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, battery OK, car runs fine once engine has started, at any RPM rate.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

Terracan 2,9 CRDI 2003, manual gearbox

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked injector electric wiring - OK, I have replaced crankshaft position sensor too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Filters are new

3/18/2018
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

When you have a no start period will it start with a push start in 2nd gear .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Greg,
Difficult to test right now... I live in a flat area. Will have to drive to a hill, and expect to wait half an hour in case it does not start.
I will get back to you asap. Note that I have already checked the injectors electrical wiring, replaced crankshaft position sensor, replaced gasoil filter.
Patrick

Okay sounds good .

Is there any warning light ON when the engine is running .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, everything looks OK on the dashboard. No warning light.
Hopefully tomorrow I will performe the push-start test.

Okay keep me up dated .

Have you noticed that the engine has less power when hot .

When cranking the engine how fast is the engine turning ,check the RPM gauge .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO, power is optimal at any stage, as long as the engine runs. When I start it (cold engine) it runs at idle RPM, just like normal. No loss of power or any unusual sign, only if it runs for 10 minutes and I stop it, it won't start again until it gets cold. I hope to tell you more tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

Okay first most common no or hard start when engine HOT is the engine coolant temp sensor.

then a bad starter motor when hot tend to turn the engine too slow for compression to meet with air and fuel mix.

Crank and Cam sensor's are known to fail when HOT and cause a no start (Very typical is the Crank position sensor).

Most likely your issue the crank sensor this will not store any codes but may trip one if it does will be a P0340 code .

If i was in the position of not being able to use diagnostic scan tools i would throw a crank sensor at the engine and see if it makes a difference, which i'm normally full against doing throwing parts at engine on assumption.

But the sensor is not that expensive and worth trying if no tool to diagnose or a testing.

if you have the scan tool with live data one goes to engine speed when all is running and see the reading

then when hot switch off the engine and then try and start when not starting check engine speed should show 250rpm or more if reading is zero replace the sensor .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, import technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Greg for your advices.
No, I don't have a scan tool, and it costs stupid money to have my car scanned by a professionnal mechanic.
How can I check the temperature sensor? Di I have to remove it, and dip it in hot water ot something like that, to measure it with a multimeter?
For the moment, I am waiting for a nex camshaft sensor to arrive. Last one I bought was not working (engine would not start at all).
The battery is fully charged ans the starter motor runs fast enough.
I haven't had the opportunity to do a push-start test. In your opinion, what result could I expect? What would it mean if the engine starts in 2nd gear by push-test, when hot?
Thank you again for your commitment.
Patrick
What to see if you have a compression issue as with a push start in 2nd gear the engine will turn over fast . If compression is low it will take more than 20 yards to start if compression is good will start right away .
Normally I’d air flow fuel delivery is good and you have a problem starting hot it’s normally a compression issue Or a bad startermotor turning the engine to slow .
Greg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Greg, compressions have been checked OK not long ago. Engine runs fine with all power when running. I should receive the camshaft sensor in about 2 weeks time, I hope you will still be in contact with me then so I can give you results.
Patrick

Hi Pat .

Due to you accepting the question will stay open ,so come back when ever you need to .

Kind regards greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, import technician