Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the crank shaft position sensor in a 2005 sonata…

Customer Question
I replaced the crank...

I replaced the crank shaft position sensor in a 2005 sonata 4 cyl and now the car won't start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

It won't start at all now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I did was replace the crank shaft position sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was giving a code for bad sensor which is why I replaced it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/17/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 4 months ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

When you installed the sensor was it positioned so the shutter wheel passes through the jaws of the sensor or across the back?

Did you remove the timing belt to replace the sensor?

Were teeth off the timing belt left in the timing cover or were they cleaned out?

Do you have a voltmeter to check the signal from the sensor?

wheel passes through. did not remove timing belt, just slid it a bit to allow the sensor to pass behind it. no teeth missing on the timing belt. I do not have a volt meter. I've read failure to start is not uncommon after replacing the crank sensor.

If the new sensor is damaged then it will not start. First you will need to verify the signal. If it is not present then you are going back in to do it again.

The routing of the cable is critical so if you didn't remove the power steering pump to route it behind the shield there is a good chance the wire was cut.

Can you get a voltmeter so the signal can be verified?

You said you had a code, do you have a scanner? If you do does it show the engine RPM while cranking? If it does and the RPM is little or nothing then it is the sensor.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

wire routing is good. removed the power steering pump. car cranks and wants to start but sputters out and dies.
is a friend's car. he took it to autozone to have the check engine light read and was told crank pos sensor so he bought a new one. he did have a leak in his trunk so the sensor box was wet.
when he brought it to me

OK, do the test with the voltmeter and if you have good signal you can move on but if you don't have spark the crank signal is not getting to the computer or the computer is unable to control the coils due to a failed IFS but first things first.

If the sensor came from AZ then that may be the problem as well, I stopped using their parts many years ago but a quick test with a voltmeter will tell the tale.

duralast is the brand of the new sensor. I don't have a voltmeter or access to one.
the car was running before the replacement of the sensor
i'm going to put the old one back in. the timing belt was not removed so timing is not the issue

Duralast is the AZ brand. All their parts are that and the quality is not good.

It is like building a house, without a hammer and a saw you are not going to get very far. In this case the tool you need is a voltmeter.

You can go through the trouble of changing it again hoping that might be it or you can do a simple test to see if that is the problem. Normally if the sensor has failed the engine will not run so maybe it was not the cause of the code in the first place. AZ is in the business of selling parts and just because there is a code does not mean a part has failed. Testing must be done.

how do you reset the ECU? no spark now with either sensor.

Sorry I was offline when you replied. Disconnect the battery negative for 30 seconds will clear the computer. You need to test the sensor output, the problem is not in the computer.