Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It just locked in Park and will not shift out of the Park…

Customer Question
It just locked in...

It just locked in Park and will not shift out of the Park position. It is a 2006 Hyundai Azera.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

I have to check the brake lights. No trouble codes. I'll be right back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Azera yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing it myself but I would like to get the transmission unlocked. I went out to step on the brakes to see if the brake lights came on and they did. Then suddenly I was able to shift it out of PARK and into NEUTRAL. Now it is locked in neutral and won't start. I was able to get the ignition to turn off and removed the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/17/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this a floor shift or column shift vehicle?