Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Why am I having trouble with reverse in my 2002 Hyundai

Elantra manual? It jerks only...
Why am I having trouble with reverse in my 2002 Hyundai Elantra manual? It jerks only in reverse.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does it jerk while accelerating in reverse with your foot off the clutch or does it jerk during the clutch pedal release?

Jerk during the clutch pedal release... Because I have to accelerate fast for it to not jerk in reverse. And it's only in reverse it does this

If you get on a flat surface, do not apply brake or gas and extremely slowly let the clutch out in reverse not letting the rpms get under 500 rpm, does it jerk?

I'm not sure I just noticed this yesterday that it was jerking in reverse

Try that and let me know the result. I feel like you are either applying to much throttle in reverse while letting the clutch out or you are not letting the clutch out fast enough. The shake is from the clutch disc chattering on high spots on the flywheel and pressure plate that are there from excessive heat. One good way to see if you are using the clutch right. At a red light, there is a white strip across the road. Out your front tires on it. Take off. Without going over 1500 rpms before your rear tires cross the strip your foot should be off the clutch pedal. The same test can be done in reverse. If you are needing more throttle to do this or more distance, then you need to practice more on making the clutch slip less.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Okay I will try that in the morning and see. Thanks!

You are welcome

It still is doing it

Time to have someone remove the transmission to inspect the clutch components.