Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 04 hyundai sonata. I had no check engine lights on,

Customer Question
I have a 04...

I have a 04 hyundai sonata. I had no check engine lights on, but I was driving and stopped for traffic. My car made a zing sound and died. Would turn over but will not crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

What light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I will give you the codes from the obd reading

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
A few days prior I ran thru a puddle of water and one of my belts squilled for a moment. My battery is dead now and I will need to get it charged.
A complete tune up with timing belt was done at 70,000 miles. The vehicle has 95,000 miles now.
3/14/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 4 months ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

What engine do you have? 4 or 6 cylinder> Please post the VIN if you are not sure.

When you run the starter does it sound "wheezy" and crank fast?

Why is the battery dead?

What codes do you get?

4 cylinder
Battery is dead because I left a light on
I'll put a battery charger on it and try to pull the codes again.

OK, codes get erased when the battery dies.

Pull the plastic upper timing cover and inspect the timing belt for missing teeth.

Does it sound normal when you crank it or fast and wheezy?

You're right the codes are gone, but if my memory serves me right, there was a lean bank on one side, and a code for crank sensor.
The engine turns fast when trying to crank it.
304 or 504

I bet it is the crank sensor and the belt is stripped.

It turns fast because the valves are bent and not closing.

Sorry for the bad news but please let me know what further questions I can help you with.

Are you talking about the timing belt?
Is there a belt on the teeth?

Yes, the timing belt. The noise you heard was the gear stripping the teeth off. This can be verified by pulling the spark plugs and running a cranking compression test and removing the upper timing cover then turning the engine by hand so the teeth on the timing belt can be inspected.