Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery has at least some charge but when I turn the key I…

Customer Question
Battery has at least...

Battery has at least some charge but when I turn the key I just get clicking so and no sound of the engine trying to turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in park and yes it has a wheel lock feature which I have never used. I guess I could have pushed that button accidentally

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2012 Hyundai Tucson

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just investigating right now. If it is something simple I don't want to get it towed and all that. First time I have had any problem in nearly 6 years.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
3/11/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 1 month ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Okay a few things can cause just the clicking of the starter motor with out it cranking is a battery with less than 12.2 volts .

A sized starter motor ,

What i suggest you do before you get towed.

All you need is a voltmeter .

Check the battery voltage a fully charged battery will have 12.6 + volts .

Now with the voltmeter still connected to the Battery have a second person try and start the engine ,the voltage should not drop below 11.5 volts if the battery is fully charged if it drops to lower than 10.6 then battery is to weak to turn the starter .

If the voltage hardly drops and just a click then the starter needs repairing or replacing .

Most common issue for this problem you have is the alternator stopped charging the battery and the battery has gotten weak now just a click from the starter .battery would just need recharging and alternator needs rebuilding or replacing .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Unfortunately I couldn't find my volt ohm meter and did not have a second person. I found that I had purchased an extended service plan which covered the towing. It started with a jump, but I needed other service, so....... thank you again.

Okay good and thank you .

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, import technician