Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What could be the cause of brakes that only make noise when…

What could be the cause...
What could be the cause of brakes that only make noise when the temp if over 30 degrees?Last fall I heard what sounded like failing brake pads, I again hear it now that temps have warmed, but heard nothing much during the coldest part of winter.Seems like something expands with warmer temps and rubs or possibly the caliper sticks when things got warmer.Am I close?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
internal88
internal88, Hyundai Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon - Hyundai tech.

Are you talking about 30 C or 30 F?

The brake pad is overheated this is why the noise is created.

First get yourself a new set of brake pad since the old is already bad. Buy a factory Hyundai brake set or Akebono brand brake pad.

Apply Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant behind the brake pad to reduce the noise.

Follow my instruction and it will solve your problem.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

30 Degrees F, basically just above freezing roughly.
Other characteristics of this issue is that it's only occurring on driver side and has been that way since probably July 2017.
I'd like to think it's just pads, but if it was a bad pad in July wouldn't I have a completely trashed rotor by now?
No other temperature related symptoms are possible with brakes?

I am 100% sure the brake pads are the problem. I would just change the brake pad and test our the car. Use the brake pads that I have recommended. Remember put on high temp lube behind the brake pad. If the noise still persist then I would change the brake rotors.

If you are going to buy new brake pads and rotors I would recommend using tirerack.com They offer premium brands and parts for your vehicle with good price.

Please rate me positive, thank you.

Let me know if I can help you further.

That brand was the first the popped up on tirerack.
Great rating for sound, seems questionable on stopping power.
Is that characteristic of the brand, or of ceramic types?
Why would this brand solve my problem more than a mid grade or ceramic from a local parts store?
I seem to have had odd brake behavior on this car going back a while, I suspected possibly a caliper (which is 14 years old) was no longer working optimally.
Akebono ceramics bad are 100% ceramic unless other aftermarket brand. Also lot of manufactures use them as factory pads. Also this is a good time to change the brake fluid. When you brake does it pull to one side ? If not then the caliper is ok. The tire conditions has lot to do with braking power.
Sorry for the typo I’m in the shop.
I don't sense a pull to one side, if it's the rear wouldn't that be a bit less noticeable anyway?
Inspect the rear brake pad and see if one side of brake pad is 25% thicker than the other.
internal88
internal88, Hyundai Mechanic
OK thanks I'll check into things and see what's up.