Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced both input and output speed sensor and the car

Replaced both input and...

Replaced both input and output speed sensor and the car still keeps going into limp mode (2-3 gears). the generated codes P0720 and P0501 (new axle does not have stator ring). The car is 2004 Hyundai Tiburon base. 2.0lt and f4a42 auto. I can not keep throwing new sensors in trying to chase a nonfixed issue. As the code says output sensor but three brand new OEM Hyundai sensors is getting ridiculous. Can clear it out and drive for approx 5 miles and shifts and rides smooth until it just slams limp mode. NEED HELP.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

Yes check the ground signal and power within the plugs of both input and output connections.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tiburon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you not read the message?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, i am doing the work myself. I am at my wits ends on this junk korean pile of crap, regardless of the mitsubishi tranny and motor

Here is the most recent scan of the codes
3/9/2018
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

After replacing the two sensors did you clear the codes then recheck for codes ,What codes come back .

Which sensors did you replace please explain the locations of the sensors you replaced .

This i ask as many get this wong even some shops .

Greg

per the Mitsubishi/Stratus Trans manual, The output and input sensors are located atop the transmission. Input under the shift cable bracket and output directly open on top. The other VSS/Trans speed sensor sits direct atop where the passenger cv axle would go into the transmission housing. I have replaced every single external sensor that is afixed to transmission to include other various linked sensors to the TCM (TPS) and IAC. the car runs flawless outside of this P0720. have new passenger axle with wheel abs sensor to resolve P0501 issue, but that should not place a safety measure in the entire system.
Yes I have cleared and reset between each diagnostic phase of chasing the problem. Short of rebuilding the tranny or breaking into valve body, everything has been checked. As you can see from attachment, the codes listed were from earlier today March 9th 2018.

Okay this is what i thought may be the problem .

The Vehicle speed sensor is actually the front right wheel speed sensor .in most cases the

ABS warning icon light is ON.

That will be your P0501 code

The P0720 code this sensor is on the transmission .

If you have a scan tool with ABS live data do a test drive with live dataer of all four wheel sensors and see if the front right is showing the same speed as the other three or none what so ever ,repair replace where needed.

What codes are you getting now after replacing the sensors .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

This car 2004 Hyundai Tiburon Gk is a non ABS vehicle and has a redundant speed sensor in the right front wheel. No where on the vehicle is there wheel sensor other than what is stated. There is no ABS light as the car does not have traction stability controls. The 0501 code is for the lack of pulse/stator/reluctor ring on the end of the drive shaft. This will be becoming in next couple days. along with a new sensor. the 0720 code is for the output speed sensor and this has been replaced three times with oem part. the wires are to the sensor check out in ohms signal and voltage.Now that being said, I have replaced everything previously listed and still have the 0720 code and its getting to be an issue that takes manufacture experience to figure out.

Okay good thanks for the info ,give me a few moments to check this out on my data .

But now no P0501 code .will need to drive to trigger this .

Greg

Do you have a scan tool with live data .

Greg

the P0501 is static code until the new sensor and axle comes in. Until then, the p0720 which is sending the code to place the CEL and limp mode is the problem I am running into. Would the abs sensor cause the miscommunication between the TCM and the Output shaft speed sensor? this is the million dollar question. But per the TSB and f4a42 tech manual, the 0501 will not create a limp mode parameter and is not factored into the main question of this discussion. Why is a New sensor with correct readings sending codes? I have even went as far as flushing the trans and replaced with new fluid. within the 5-10 miles the car performs flawlessly, shifts smooth and no noticeable trans issues until the limp mode is activated.

Okay good just found a TSB for this issue check it out .

This should help .

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, import technician
Yea I forgot to mention we have also replaced the TCM. This TSB goes covered so far, there is another that will cover checking out the sensor. GDS shows no miscommunication between the TCM to PCM or TCM to Sensors.

was the ECM and TCM updated .

Greg

Tcm was not, but the shift points are good even with other tcm the issue prevailed

Okay goo first Clear codes .

Switch off ignition wait 10 seconds ,switch on wait 3 seconds then switch off and wait anoth 10 seconds switch on and then check for codes .

Greg

Do not start the engine /

Greg

Ok, I am writing this for yours and others who may come across this question. I have solved the problem. I ended up replacing both the Passenger CV Axle along with the Wheel/ABS sensor that is located on that side. It would appear that the computer uses the speed of the wheel to measure against the output sensor, without them syncing the car will throw a P0720 Code. Now, do know that the three sensor (Input, output, and VSS) on the transmission were replaced with new. Along with the wheel sensor and new CV axle. If you run into this problem I research the wheel sensor as this area is prone to get messed up, especially after a blowout or interference of debris to the wheel well. But that being said, everything checks out and working properly.

Okay good work .thank you for the feedback .

Happy motoring .

Rgds Greg