Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light is on and I took it to advance auto to…

Customer Question
My check engine light...

My check engine light is on and I took it to advance auto to get a gas cap I did put it on and the engine light is still on what is the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2008 santa fe gls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I change the fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech - replied 4 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

While you were at AdvanceAuto, did you have them scan the p-codes from the vehicle?

the code is P0455

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

you charge 26 dollars for the call

My apologies for the phone call offer. These are force-sent by the website... Not Me! No need for a phone call. Give me one minute to type out my reply...

Ok

Thanks for holding!

Ok. The P0455 is "EVAP System Large Leak Detected". Very commonly, this "can" be a faulty fuel cap. However, in this model year, more times than not, an aftermarket fuel cap (like from AdvanceAuto) will not seal the system correctly. A Dealer fuel cap is usually needed. And after the fuel cap is installed, the vehicle needs to be driven 50-75 miles until the on-board computer will recognize the new cap, and turn the light off. With that said... many times... the P0455 can really be a leak somewhere in the system. So, if the fuel cap does not solve the issue, the next course of action is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be more easily found and repaired. If the smoke test proves no leaks, then individual items will need to be tested for proper operation. A common fail item on these vehicles that can set a P0455 is a faulty Purge Control Solenoid Valve. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

you advice that I should buy the cap from the dealer instead

That would be the best first step. And then after installation of the new cap... it needs to be driven 50-75 miles which includes some highway driving and the fuel level to be more than half tank. This will make the on-board computer run the EVAP system monitor and recognize the new cap... IF the cap is the problem.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

Why did you guys take 35 dollars out my account. You guys told me 7 days
It have not been 7 days yet.

Unfortunately, I have no control over billing what so ever. I am simply a "user" just like yourself. The website connects question asking users with question answering users and they handle everything in between. If you have a billing question, you will need to contact customer service. There should be a link at the bottom of the page. They're really good over at customer service! They'll take good care of you!