Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Santa Fe. While driving the shifter popped…

Hi I'm Mike. I...

Hi I'm Mike. I have a 2008 Santa Fe. While driving the shifter popped into sort mode. It is now stuck in that position. I can no longer move it and the Key is in the ignition. Tried the shifter release to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The above response must be for another person

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried the shifter release, Brake pedal, Brake light switch, and recycling the ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a 2008 Santa Fe. While driving the shifter popped into sport mode. It is now stuck in that position. I can no longer move it and the Key is in the ignition. Tried the shifter release to no avail. I tried the shifter release, checked the Brake pedal, Brake light switch, and recycled the ignition switch several times.The car is now in my driveway engine off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Brake lights are working fine. The switch looks ok.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still waiting. 3 + hours. Are you able to help?
3/9/2018
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the most likely problem is that there is debris built up down in the shift rod on the transmission....you need to remove the battery and the battery tray to access the shift cable where it connects to the transmission. Once you remove it, operate the shifter to make sure the cable is free, spray WD-40 down onto the bracket that the shift cable connects to and let it sit for a few hours continued spraying it every 20 minutes or so make sure that penetrating oil gets down into the center of that bolt that connects the shift shaft lever to the transmission then reconnect the shift cable and put some force behind it and you should be able to break it free and then just operate it back and forth back and forth quite a few times you'll feel it loosen up after a while and then you should be okay
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I'll give this a try and respond sometime tomorrow. M
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No need for a phone call. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excellent advice. Problem solved. Thanks Mike
Awesome...glad I could help. Thank You for using JA.
davehop
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician