Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Sonata and the ignition is kind of randomly…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Sonata and the ignition is kind of randomly engaged - especially when it's colder, and also when it is in park or neutral. I have seen in several places that replacing the ignition switch will fix this. I got the part, and took out the original switch, but when I go to put the new switch in, the part won't go in all of the way. It came out very easily and I thought it would be super-simple, but I'm stuck - I can't get the part to align no matter how I jiggle it or what angle I move the key to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I'm not sure how to get it back in - I found a forum where several people had the same issue - it almost seems like it either works without a problem or you can't really get it back together without replacing the whole ignition cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

The key seems to be fine and the wheel isn't locked. The key is original and obviously old, but it turns without any problem in the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - I think that's all - and also yes - I'm doing the repair myself. Thank you!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 3 days by:
3/12/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 4 months ago
Shawn Few

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

Hi , I see that your question has been sitting for a while and has not been answered ,I m sorry for your wait and I like to assist you on it , if you still have not had the issue resolved