Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A fe3w months ago my 07 hundai azera cruise control will…

A fe3w months ago...

A fe3w months ago my 07 hundai azera cruise control will turn on, but not set. About the same time my check engine light came on. IT was intermittent for a while, but now a solid issue. Runs great. Changed the gas cap and brake switch(like Hundai did about 5 years ago)

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

On solid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Azera yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check engine light- So far I thought about a bad gas filler cap so I would twist it a bit more and within a few days it would go out for about a week or so. Then return. Usually the cruise would start working after the check engine light went off. I just changed out the brake switch like Hundai did about 5 years ago with the cruise no setting issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other than it starts and runs/shifts fine. I wonder if the check engine light hasn't cycled yet with the new gas cap?

Also -
I changed the gas filler cap yesterday
If you just tell me to take it to Hundai mechanic, do I still get charged for your help?
3/9/2018
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the gas cap, while it will cause the check engine light to come on, has no effect on the cruise control. The most likely problem that you have is a bad set switch for the cruise control. Try pressing very hard on the button when you are trying to get the cruise control to set.
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Are you still in need of assistance?
Been trying that all along. When it's working, it just needs a gentle touch. When it's not - no amount of pressure helps.
Any other ideas?

Yes...replace the Cruise Control Switch assembly in the steering wheel....it's a common problem.

NOt sure you got my latest response.
Is this something I can change at home? My concerns are with the air bag system. I see some tork bolts on either side of the steering wheel. Do these hold the air bag on?
Suggestion?
Is that something I could try at home or should I let Hundai do it? Concerned about airbag or special tools.
they are T40 torx... disconnect the battery before you remove the air bag
I pulled off the airbag after battery disconnect and 10 minute wait. I disconnected/reconnected both multi-pin connectors 3 times and restored everything. Works for now. Thanks for the help - 15 minute job to replace switch if it comes to that.
Great... Thank You for using JA.