Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My daughters accent is misfiring when it gets hot or damp…

My daughters accent is...

My daughters accent is misfiring when it gets hot or damp and she has replaced spark plugs wires and coils twice in the last year and now happening again

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

74000km and is random,it will run fine on short trips and during moderate weather. lately cold weather is helping but it warms up and moisture affects it or long trips where it gets to normal running temp it will start misfiring but not to the point of losing one cylinder completely

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Accent?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

She has had it repaired by a shop but I hate to have her go back for a repeat fix at the same dollar value for parts that should last years not months

1/16/2018
internal88
internal88, Hyundai Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon - Hyundai.

Do you know what kind of ignition coil did the shop installed? Are the aftermarket brand coil?

but the originals had the same issues wondering about possible upstream signal issues? Any history of these issues

I just checked the database no history of the same issue or TSB.

I will opt out and open up to other tech.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like a plug issue, have you pulled the plugs to check then when the engine is firing bad ?

plugs wires and coils replaced twice in the last year
seems to help for a while but could just be coincidence, as it is usually during hot weather or damp weather

she did have the plugs done previously to the other complete change outs and same result, seems to fix it short term or coincidence that it never got as hot or wet during the time frame.
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/accent-excel-s-coupe/84441-my-experience-accent-misfires-coilpacks.html seems to be a common problem that some have fixed by going to a tighter gapped plug. I'm going to try this.

ok try that and let me know how it goes, the brand of plug is a issue as well, it needs to be NGK

was thinking a gappable summer rated plug for higher heat tolerances

as long as its NGK you will be fine

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Apparently mechanic is aware of this and put new plugs with a smaller gap. haven't had a chance to pull one myself to see if it is burning hot or fouled. any other feedback on other fixes send them through but for now I am going to follow the plug trail.
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician