Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The car will start but runs for about a munute. We have

The car will start...

The car will start but runs for about a munute. We have replace the ignition misfire sensor, fuel pressure regulator,cam sensor, crankshaft sensor, timing belt and tension gear and timing is right on, also the ecm , and just changed the ignition coils.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

We put a new belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

It is a 2002 sonata 2.4l.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have changed the timing belt, ecm, ignition misfire sensor, new plugs and wires, fuel pressure regulator , fuel pump.

1/17/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

If you pull the crankshaft sensor connector does it run? If not have you tried pulling any other sensors and trying this?

Hi Shawn,
No, have not pulled any of the sensors or should I say discount. I will give that a shoot in the am and let you know what happens.
Leroy

sounds good ill be around

Hi,sorry I haven't got back to you but I have an emergency going on. As son as I clear it up I'll get back to youThanks.Leroy

oh thats fine, take your time, do you what you have to do and ill be ready when your ready

Hi Shawn,
I back. sorry it took so long. I am 300 miles from where the car is. My friend is the one who is repairing it. I will relay for him to dscounnect the crankshaft sensor and the others. You know he took the plugs out and they were two that were fouled up pretty good. Even though we changed out the two coils he stated that it appears that only two of the cylinders are getting fire. I suggested he swap the coils . Maybe we have a defective. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

I would get a a inline tester and check each cylinder to make sure you have fire on each cylinder, I like this one because you can adjust it and its easy to ground,

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Ignition-Spark-Tester-with-Adjustable-Gap-P41027.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIirXCtMrx2AIVxyOBCh13vg7JEAQYASABEgIXHfD_BwE

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Okay, I think we tested to see if he was getting current to each of the coils and he was, put still two of the plugs were fouled up.
He told me it was set up for one coil to fire cylinder 1&4 and the other 2&3.

you can be getting a signal to the coil to tell it to fire and it still be bad, the best way is to check after the coil on each cylider to ensure the spark is good and strong

He told me that he could actually hear the spark on each cylinder and could not feel the heck of the shock when he touched it .Crazy huh.

that is pretty crazy, coils are a very common thing to go bad on those, I would suspect they are bad considering everything I know so far

We just replace them with new ones so I also think maybe they are defective. They have started the car maybe 2 or 3 times. I will have him take them back and give them an other pair. I'll let you know tomorrow some time.

make sure to use dielectric grease on the plug ends to have a nice secure fitment

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician