Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It just shut off going down the road and will not start back…

Customer Question
It just shut off...

It just shut off going down the road and will not start back up

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I bought a brand new battery and when I plugged it up it starts smoking under the hood

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just unplug and when it starts smoking and I haven't done anything since

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The first thing that started the airbag light came on and then the next day it did this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
1/15/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good morning, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this today.

When you say it smokes with the battery hooked up, is the smoke coming from the battery posts?

Up under the motor
Hey I just paid y'all $20 to get some answers now you want me to pay $26 to call you is this some kind of Hustle
Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are many possible causes for the engine dying and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. The no start condition may or may not be related to the smoke.

If there is smoke that starts when the battery is reconnected you're going to need to start by determining where the smoke is coming from and repair that issue and then go from there. If simply hooking the battery up is causing smoke from under the engine then it's likely that the problem is with either the starter, it's positive cable possibly another circuit with a constant battery feed has shorted to ground for whatever reason.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.