Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. It won't start. I thought it…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. It won't start. I thought it might be the battery, although I had a new battery installed a few months a go. Jumping it did not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They aren't corroded. I did notice something odd. My dash indicator says that it is in park, but I am able to turn the steering wheel freely. It isn't locked in place as it usually is. I shifted down into neutral and back up into park, trying to start from both positions and it tries to start, but doesn't.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried jumping it, it didn't work. I also read online of similar problems in other Elantra's and the owners rocked the car back and forth and it started. I tried that also but it did not work.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
1/5/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So does the starter sound weak? does it sounds slower than usual?

no, it sounds ok

is there a check engine or theft light on?

no

ok so we need to check fuel pressure and spark next, let me know what you come up with

how do i check fuel pressure?

you will need a fuel pressure gauge, you can rent them at the local auto parts store your looking for round 65 psi

Why is my steering wheel able to move when the indicator says that the car is in park. Could that be related to the issue?

so you can move it as much as you want all the way left and then right and it dosent lock?

sounds like its not in park all the way are you able to move the shift lever?

No, only if I turn the key to the auxiliary position
I put it in neutral, but it wouldn't start their either

try moving the shift lever all the way back with a little bit of force and the back into park and try it

It didn't work. The steering wheel still moves.

im trying to find more information on this but nothing is coming up, ill opt out for another opinion from another tech

ok, thanks for your help
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. Is the theft/security indicator going out when ranking the engine?

Fuses all look ok. It seems as if engine isn't getting fuel to start. The steering wheel being able to move is telling me that the car doesn't think it is in park, but the indicator on the dash says P.

thats why I wanted that fuse checked is because of the steering wheel

Any other ideas?

when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

are you there?