Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On my 2011 Sonata I disconnected the battery to avoid

Customer Question
On my 2011 Sonata...

On my 2011 Sonata I disconnected the battery to avoid setting off the airbag while I dropped the steering column to change out a worn steering shaft coupler. That coupler repair was easy enough but when I put everything back together, reconnected the battery, and tried to start the car, it won't start. Plenty of dash board lights come on, the chime chimes, and the brake pedal feels almost as if the power brakes have been applied. But when I push the start button, nothing happens. I'm guessing that by disconnecting the battery I've somehow confused the car's computer. Is there a way to reset it so that the car will start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Not yet. but it appears as if all of the little warning lights on the dash illuminate when I push the start button. Some go off eventually, but the car doesn't try to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I put the steering shaft bushing in this morning, which requires unplugging lots of stuff and lowering the steering column. All the plugs are reconnected. I think the issue has something to do with disconnecting the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, i think that I've described the problem fully

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
1/5/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

It sounds like you may have blown a main fuse have you checked all of these underhood for power yet?

It’s fixed. Unplugged all of the plugs that i had removed and reconnected everything and the car started right up. One of the plugs must not have been making full contact

well im glad its working again! have a great day!