Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Left side tail lights. 2012 Elantra. When I turn on the

Customer Question
Left side tail lights ...

Left side tail lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2012 Elantra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I turn on the headlights the left side tail lights and front marker bulb stay on for just one second and then go off. The right side tail lights work fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be a problem with the light switch on the dash?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
The left side tail lights and left side front marker light do light up for just a second when the headlights are turned on but then go dark. The right side tail lights work fine. Can’t be a fuse issue because the left side lights do very briefly light up. Could the problem be a bad steering wheel (black knob) switch or possibly a bad/weak relay or weak connection issue?
Thanks
Bruce
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/3/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

DO you have any aftermarket lights or bulbs installed?

I’m an electronic tech and am baffled by this tail light issue. I’ve tried some after market turn signal, marker, and tail light and brake light bulbs that I got from Rock auto and the auto zone. I’ve tested bulbs with my VOM and even swapped them from the left side ( non working side) to the right side to test. I’ve yet to find a bad bulb.

are these led lights?

Let’s stick with texts
when I turn on the headlights the lights on the front and rear right side work fine, but the left side lights flash on for just about one second and the go out. Kind of strange but even the 2 license plate are the same. The left side doesn’t work but the right side does work

are the lights you replaced them with LED??????

No led’s just regular bulbs sir

So all that is controlled by a thing called a smart control module that fail a lot, you can try to reset it by removing the neg cable then positive touch both cable ends together for 1 min wait 15 more then install positive then negative and try again

Ok, I will try that and see if it corrects the problem. Give me 5-10 min to do it

ok sounds good

Took off the neg battery post wire and shorted it , the cable , to the positive lead and post for 30!Seconds Did not fix problem

you didnt follow the instructions properly please go back and re read the instructions

where is this smart controller module located? I don’t see it under the hood
In the fuse box
Ok I’ll follow you instructions
Same problems. Power reset did not work

so you prob have a bad smart junction box on that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b96z18bhub0gunu/wed3.docx?dl=0

Thanks for the assistance, help and info Shawn.
I’m glad to of tried to fix it with a Pro but it looks like it’s gonna to take a trip to the Hyundai dealer to get this pesky tail light problem solved.
Any idea about how much it will cost me there for the repair, just a ballpark figure please.
Thanks again for the 411

well they will have to do a diagnostic on it and that will be 1 hour at there labor rate and then they will let you know, the smart junction box should be covered under warranty though