Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Cranks but has no start and the whole engine/lights will all…

Customer Question
Cranks but has no...

Cranks but has no start and the whole engine/lights will all die then it will try to crank again. After a couple tries the car will start. Drives well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Dome and dash lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2011 accent GL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

Originally had a blown head gasket. Engine block, piston, valves, head gasket were replaced. I changed the o2 sensor, battery, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, ignition coils, spark plugs, ignition coil pigtail.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
12/31/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

is there a check engine light on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No check engine light. No codes. Stored code is crankshaft position sensor and that was replaced twice in a weeks time.

Sounds like you may have a clogged vvt sensor have you pulled that checked it yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks clean, how do I check if it's clogged?

well first you want to check for resistance and that 6.9-7.9 at 68 degrees as a base line temp, if that check out apply power and check to see the plunger is moving properly I have seen tiny bits of junk get caught in the valving on those and you will never see it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There isn't any of the classic symptoms of the vvt going out, climbing hills is no issue the idle is fine, and fuel economy is still good. The engine only has problems when trying to start.

you see something new everyday have you checked the vvt yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet, I'll have to try in the morning when I have better lighting, I'll report back after I have.

sounds good ill be around we will get this figured out, good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything looks good on the vvt.

ok if you have a oscilloscope I would monitor the cam and crank senor singals to see what they are doing on no start

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car is now only starting when I have the clutch and gas pedal depressed. Both the crank and camshaft sensors are new.

thats normal though, it shouldnt start without that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shouldn't have to have the gas pedal pressed down to start. I should be able to do a clutch only start.

you may have intake leak or vac leak somewhere

so it got better after you inspected the vvt?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it's an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes it starts first try, sometimes it takes 20, sometimes I don't have time to play with it until it starts and I find another way to get to work.

its gotta be wiring somewhere

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

if that was out it should be bad the entire time because its mechanical, you havent monitored the fuel pressure in fail condition?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel pressure is normal

that would indicate if the regulator is bad, well once engine is off, key on engine off and monitor the pressure

hows it coming?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Clutch went out, so I'm waiting for parts to fix that before I can get back to the engine.

oh that will be fun, well let me know when your ready

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician