Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 Hyundai Elantra gt cargo net jammed in hatch back latch…

Customer Question
2013 Hyundai Elantra gt...

2013 Hyundai Elantra gt cargo net jammed in hatch back latch keeping electronic latch from unlatching.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’ve tried cutting out as much cargo net as possible but cannot pull it out. Tried pushing down on lid while activating latch release and removed the only 2 accessible bolts on the latch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/29/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Often this is not pretty if you can not even get the latch to release manually. Since the latch is jammed shut not able to move. This means you have to access the inside of the liftgate and break the latch apart so it will let loose at the jaws. Then once the gate is opened the latch has to then be replaced.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Is there a way I can email a photo so you can tell me what to break or where to pry?

You can attach photos from the reply box where you are typing.

Here is an image of the part you have to break apart from within the gate because its mounting bolts can only be accessed from with the gate opened. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xklfmlo89r5vs7c/tlatch.pdf?dl=0

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Moose you are wrong about the bolts being inaccessible with the hatch closed. All 3 bolts are easily removed with the seats down from inside the passenger compartment on the gt model. A # 10 combination wrench does the job. If I had followed your suggestions I would have a very costly repair job on my hands. You would be better off to not get a rating from me so take me off the email list!

Glad you got it resolved. I did not have one to look at in person and could only do so from the diagrams which appeared to be not accessible.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician