Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have removed the alternator on my 2007 hyundai Santa Fe…

Customer Question
I have removed the alternator...
I have removed the alternator on my 2007 hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L V6 and also removed the fans and radiator hoses, but can't fit the alternator by the radiator to get it out. Is there a trick to it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 1 month ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

Have you remove the upper radiator mounts so you can pull the radiator out? That is the key here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, you have to remove the radiator to get it out?

No, you don't remove it just the upper mounts where the rubber is so you can tilt it out of the way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any upper mounts. How do you get to them?

On each upper corner of the radiator there is a post. Around that post is a rubber bushing and that bushing is held in place with a sheet metal bracket bolted to the radiator support cross bar.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do you get to those?

They are two 10 mm bolts holding the black bracket to the radiator support. Just look at the corner of the radiator and follow the bracket up to see the bolts. Push the radiator back and forth to see where it fastens at the top.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry I don't see how to get to those on mine

I don't have any pictures or procedure for this. Hyundai never made one and no one on the net has one. Click here for 2008

You do have the black plastic cover between the grill and the radiator off don't you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no sir I don't

Watch the video and you will see that is one of the steps required after the fans. The mounts will be very visible after that

One tip is to cover the radiator with a piece of cardboard as you move the alternator so you don't poke a hole in it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The black cover won't come off it;s connected to the grill and front end, I watched this video before I started and he said the alternator would slide across and come out it does not and I removed everything he said, I do have a peice of cardboard against the raditor but the is still no room for it to slide across even if you too the exhaust cover off.

OK< I am sorry you are having problems with this. I have done what I can from here so I will OPT OUT of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Appreciate your help, I should have taken it to the shop like I wanted to before the wife talked me out of it lol...
Hyundai Mechanic: Cardoctor71, Master Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, Master Certified Technician

New expert here, Have you tried rotating the alternator once it is loose to identify the one and only way it comes out, try rotating the alternator one 1/4 turn at a time ,you will locate on edge that gets the closest to getting past the radiator, then identify what is further stopping it from coming out, remove it or move it out of the way, any black plastic that is riveted will have to be drilled and replace with a self tapping screw afterward,etc. remember it will eventually come out, patience is the key word here, and make sure to protect the delicate radiator. Please rate my service and i will continue to answer your questions until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Reported

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
put in shop, it is covered under a recall for oil leaking on alternator from. Thank you for response.
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71