Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2004 xg350 went into limp mode accelerating onto freeway.

Customer Question
2004 xg350 went into...

2004 xg350 went into limp mode accelerating onto freeway. Shifts fine 1-5,l no power, 3000K rev limit. Can hear Limp valve sucking air. - NO CEL - NO CODES

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant - being limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XG350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hooked up OBDII - no codes checked wiring and vac connections to TB

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm leaning towards TPS - but hesitate due to not codes thrown.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
12/24/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 1 month ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? what was your question specifically?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2004 xg350 went into limp mode accelerating onto freeway. Shifts fine 1-5,l no power, 3000K rev limit. Can hear Limp valve sucking air. - NO CEL - NO CODESI have the service manual but not sure where to start. pulled battery in an attempt to clear the PCM of anything keeping it in limp mode. Can hear it sucking air under the throttle body where is the limp home valve it's supposedly located. Vehicle shifts fine 1 through 5 what is limited is power. Limited torque limited acceleration.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm leaning towards TPS but without codes don't want to start replacing stuff.

hi, I am still not sure what you wanted to know about this? what was your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible for vehicle to go into limp home mode without showing a check engine light or presenting any codes from OBDII? Can the valve fail open and not present a code? Is the limp home valve the same as the idle air control valve?
Hyundai Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 1 month ago
Greg
Greg, import technician
Hi new expert here to assist you with this issue if needed.
Please let me know if you still need assistance.
Rgds Greg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still need help with this issue
Good thank you.
What code reader or scan tool are you using to check for malfunction codes.
Greg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a generic elm based OBDII unit. Not a Hyundai proscan.
Ok thank you .
This tool will not gather manufacturers codes .
You need a good top level scan tool to read all systems .
But with the elm connected go into live data and give me the short trim readings at idle and again at 2500rpm.
Rgds Greg
Oh and give me the MAF readings also
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do later today or tomorrow.
Ok sounds good
Merry Christmas
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Greg,Here are the numbers you requested.IDLE
MAF .7 lbs/min
STFT Banks 1 & 2 (-2.0 to +2.0)2500 RPM
MAF 2.3 lbs/min
STFT Banks 1 & 2. (0 to -0.8)Prior to this issue car has been throwing code P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).Do these numbers above indicate a plugged cat?
Good readings
To check cat has not plugged the system you will need to do a exhaust back pressure test .
A blocked cat could be your problem.
Rgds Greg
Greg
Greg
Greg, import technician