Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2013 elantra that suddenly loses power at the exact…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 elantra that suddenly loses power at the exact same rpm whether in gear or in park. If I drive or even rev the car to 2750 the car acts like it goes into limp mode for a split second

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Its very brief

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have replaced the coil packs, I have tried a new ecu, used a snap-on verus and noticed all the injectors lose pulse at the same time and it actually says the car is shutting off

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Hyundai
12/20/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you say it says the car is shutting off what exactly are you seeing?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A few things. I am seeing the Eps light come on for a split second and the mil lamp will light up briefly but it goes out immediately and does not store any codes. The snap on verus scanner I have been using shows that all the injectors lose pulse at the same time. I believe they are dropping from around 15ms to 2.5ms (maybe lower) but it's hard for the scanner to tell exactly how low since the hesitation is so brief. There is also an ignition status and it will sometimes go from "on" to "off". Initial thoughts were a bad ground but I have checked and cleaned the ones by the battery, below the air box for the trans, and the one on the pass side under the hood. Also tried a new ecu but had same result.The tach has a very immediate drop from 2750rpm to around 2000. It can be in drive or park under heavy acceleration such as merging onto the interstate or it can be at 90mph when the engine hits that same rpm it will do it.

One cause or component I have seen cause this fault is a failing electronic ignition switch.If the electronic ignition switch is acting up to where it is shutting off briefly on one or more of its terminals in the switch ( as one or more losing brief contact can cause this) then this issue occurs.I have seen several electronic ignition switches cause this type of fault here in the past before and had to replace this switch with this issue.

If there is any way for you to monitor the switch signals or test then while this is occurring most likely you will see a signal dropping in and out when this occurs indicating the switch needs replaced.

The only other thing I have seen is poor battery connections at or leading from the battery causing a sudden voltage or main battery ground loss issue briefly but more common is the electronic ignition switch itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had heard of this with the electronic ignition switches but my car is actually a mechanical ignition with the normal key cylinder. Is that common with the mechanical ignition? If so, is there a specific wire or contact point I should be checking for continuity as I do this? My thought would be putting a light tester to it and seeing if the test light flickers.

You have a mechanical key cylinder that actually rotates the electronic ignition switch itself.It is located in the steering column.Below is a bad picture but it was the only one I could find on your model on it.It also shows the connector layout for this switch.You can test it as shown below as well but unfortunately if the vehicle is acting o.k. the testing will be o.k. so it would need to be tested when acting up which in this case would be very difficult to do.The switch itself ( not the mechanical cylinder) is very common for this issue here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fbg9koe1b6qkv2/i-12-20.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zz0izz50y0ktb7x/ig-12-20.png?dl=0

1. Disconnect the ignition switch connector (B) and key warning switch connector (A) from the steering column.

2. Check for continuity between the terminals. ( second, link I sent you)
3. If continuity is not specified, replace the switch.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Pete, any idea what part of the ignition I should check for continuity to see if the car is indeed shutting off like I assume it is? And should it be a light tester or voltage meter

You want a multi meter that can test resistance on the switch itself.You want to test resistance between the terminals as shown below:

Terminals 5 to 6 with key in accessory position

Terminals 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 and between 4 and 6 with key on as well as terminals 1 to 2

Terminals 5 to 4 and 1 to 3 with key in the start position

If any of these do not show a resistance signal ( if they show open circuit instead) in the key positions indicates the switch needs replaced.

You want to test this at the switch itself with the switch unplugged.The connector on the left in the diagram below indicates the terminal numbers at this switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9awm2ppt2657w9/sw-01-17.png?dl=0

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician