Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My temperature gauge keeps going up when in traffic. i go…

Customer Question
My temperature gauge keeps...

My temperature gauge keeps going up when in traffic. i go the radiator cleaned and thermostat replaced yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle overheated in the past? And what about servicing? Is it up-to-date on oil changes?

It's due for servicing this month. It actually overheated about a month ago but i realized it was because it run out of water

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2013 elantra with a spoiler at the back

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Repalced the thermostat and washed the radiator just yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Prior to yesterday anytime the temperatire gauge goes up the cooling in the ac reduces and blows normal air. The fan also runs even when the engine is off and the key is out of the ignition

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/20/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when it overheated a month ago, how long did you drive it while the engine was overheated?

as soon as the vehicle prompted me on the overheating i parked

with the engine at operating temperature, are the upper and lower radiator hoses EQUALLY hot?

I am at work so i prefer to type than to talk

ignore the pop ups.

Noted David, thanks.

i havent touched them yet

well, let me know when you can. I will be on all day here.

ok but my elantra behaves like a German car. I mean the fun still runs even when the engine is off, why that please?

compensation for an overheat condition.

it hasn't been like that until recently
ok, i see.
but could air pockets be the cause as indicated on other forums?
And do i need to burp the car?

yes, air pockets can cause this. so can alot of other things, so please just let me know when you can be at the car.

ok so i checked and i realised that there was leakage at the top of the radiator causing vapour and water to drip out
I had if fixed and that is what i have been doing the whole day. unfortunately right after fixing it i detected coolant leakage again from the lower part of the radiator. I checked further and again realised that it was coming from a burst hose. i dont know how.
But the 2013 elantra is fairly young and i dont expect all these problems.Even my 2002 c class does not present these issues. i am getting frustrated.

sounds like you need a new radiator and hose my friend. how did you fix the leak at the top?

??