Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2004 Hyundai a mantra. Transmission taking a little extra to

shift in lower gears. Saturday...
2004 Hyundai a mantra. Transmission taking a little extra to shift in lower gears. Saturday it seemed to need to "catch up" when I let off the gas going up a hill. Fluid looks in between red and Brown. Few flecks of black. No burnt smell. Little low.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No gas hog. Starts fine. Engine sounds a little deeper.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Hyundai?
Customer: Bad spelling- sorry. Elantra
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Early days. Checked the fluid. Mechanic tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
12/17/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Please let me know if you need more detail

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

I would drop the fluid and run the it thru a funnel with a screen at the end of it ,they sell at loacl parts store, and check for small metal shavings ,if none found ,replace fluid and retest

if metal shaving are found most likely will need rebuild ,but u can try replacing fluid sometimes they work but rare since metal shavings indicate clutches wore out internally

if it continued to do it after fluid replacement and no shavings found ,then have it scanned using a Hyundai capable scanner and read tcm module in case it was a valve body solenoid issue or wiring etc

we have to start here

what is the mileage on it now and have you ever serviced transmission

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 130,000. Owned 1 year. Haven't serviced it. No driving issues today. Took it out, up some hills, etc... No issues.

usually they act up when they got hot and underload,

and these transmission fail suddenly

I would start with a fluid change and go from there

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was maybe 15 minutes from home when it started giving me grief, but it was a large hill. The issue started when I let off the gas bc of a car that stopped.when I went to accelerate again, nothing happened, it took a second to catch gear again, then the car jolted and it was fine.

well to be honest that does not sound good if it slipping ,that means the engine going faster then transmission and usually that indict burned clutches if the fluid is clean and to level, all you can do now is start with fluid

now in some cases when you drop fluid it might make it worse

in case it was tcm module or glitch

try resetting and see if this will have any effect

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How will I know if this is successful? I haven't been able to reproduce the issue since it happened yesterday.

well, i would drive more on it until it happens again or have it scanned with capable scanner to be 100% sure

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Understood. Thanks.
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat