Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a knock sensor code and I replaced it, the car still…

Customer Question
I had a knock...

I had a knock sensor code and I replaced it, the car still won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Knock detonation sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2012 Hyundai Veloster

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Veloster yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had someone replace it for me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was told that it could be the throttle body sensor now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/17/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Check fuses ECU2, SENSOR1, and SENSOR3. These fuses supply power to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Let me know if your missing spark, fuel, compression or pulse.

When I try to start the car, it clicks once and then it makes a beeping sound for about 10 seconds, and then stops. I put reader on it and it showed that the knock sensor was needing to be replaced. The car starts sometimes and sometimes it won't.

It clicks? I wonder if the starter is not engaging. Can you try up to 10 times and force the click noise over and over and over and see if it finally starts after.

I had Auto Zone test the starter, the battery, and alternator and they were all fine.

Then there has to be a connection issue with either power or ground wiring. Or your motor has seized not allowing the starter to engage the engine.

Are you able to spin the crank pulley with a socket and ratchet clockwise?

Everything else is fine. For example, I can randomly try to start it today and it may start no problem, but if I turn the car off it won't start back sometimes. It's not a normal clicking sound like the starter or battery, it's one click. The mechanic stated that it was the throttle body sensor, based on how it sounds. I am just apprehensive about buying this sensor and it not working. The only error I am getting is the knock sensor.

I do not believe the throttle is the issue unless you hear the engine trying to start and crank but not starting. If it is clicking, it is possible the starter may still be bad even though you tested it. You got to understand that when someone tests an intermittent bad starter, the voltage they put to the starter is tremendously more than what your vehicle would throw at the starter since the battery is sharing voltage with everything else on the car.

Hope this helps