Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Gas gage quit working check engine light has been on for 2…

Customer Question
Gas gage quit working...

Gas gage quit working check engine light has been on for 2 years, starts hard after a fill up of gas then starts fine after that

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on, has been on for two years

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2007 sante fe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, local garage said no danger if I kept driving they thought it was something to do with the electrical system but couldn't pin point anything

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/17/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the gas gauge issue and hard starting after fill up occur at the same time or are all of these issues that occurred over time different from each other?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

about same time
no phone at this point haven't seen any kind of answere

Have you had the fault codes re checked at all even though its been on 2 years to see what codes are set now?

I have stopped at Oreillys 5-6 times they put their hand held machine on the car and turn of the emergency light but it comes back on after a few miles

Do you know what the code numbers are that were setting with this fault?

no

O.k., since all of these issues occurred at the same time here this can be due to a fault with the fuel pump assembly.If the pump is failing to provide the correct fuel pressure when the tank is filled as well as causing an issue with the fuel level sensor ( part of the pump) to register incorrectly it can cause all of these issues here.

The fuel pressure needs to be tested with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if there is a low-pressure issue with the pump itself when this is acting up.I have had to replace a failing pump in the past before for this type of fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete