Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The gas cuts off as if the pump stops but it jerks on and…

Customer Question
The gas cuts off...

The gas cuts off as if the pump stops but it jerks on and off and the engine stays running and on idle stays steady

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts normal only when it goes on drive is when it stalls

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2004 Hyundai Elantra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes changed the gas pump and it has the same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also the gas doesn't flow when filling the tank the pump stops and have to fill up slow

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/17/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

It sounds like you have a fuel vapor issue commonly caused by the evap purge valve. If you have a scan tool we can verify this, if you do not then we can try replacing the valve and see if the problem continues which I doubt the problem will continue. Let me know if this helps :).