Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

13 hyundai elantra gt I have to press shift release to get…

Customer Question
13 hyundai elantra gt...

13 hyundai elantra gt I have to press shift release to get car out of park, this has been going on for a year. It is not everytime but very often in the dummer months it happened notably less.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leaking car is 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried much it is my wifes car, I have heard it could be the brake switch but the brake lights come on when i step on brake pedal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If the brake lights are coming on then there is a good chance it's not the brake light switch causing the problem. If they aren't coming on when it won't shift, then it likely is the brake light switch.

Other possible issues would be the transmission range sensor. If the car doesn't know it's in park, then it might not activate the shift release. What I have seen time to time is something being spilled into the console and it can bind up the shift lock solenoid. This can make it sticky and worse in the winter than in the summer. Sometimes warming up the car first will allow it to work better.

Finally, the shift solenoid itself could be failing, causing the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

How would i check the shift lock solenoid to see if its that

We need a volt meter, pull the cover off the shifter and check and make sure it's getting voltage when stepping on the brake pedal, if it is, then it's the failed part. Let me check and see if they give us any info on wire colors for testing.

Ok, here is what you have to look for. The yellow wire to the solenoid should have constant power, then when you press the brakes, the brown wire will go to ground. This activates the solenoid. The body control module sees the input from the brake pedal and gives the brown wire ground.

Do you need more info from me?