Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, recently having problems with

RPM surges, usually occurs from...
Have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, recently having problems with RPM surges, usually occurs from 30 mph and up. Engine surges, then goes back to the usual 2000 RPM. Can you tell me what the problem may be before I take it in to have it serviced, thanks. When I took it in for smog, it surged while it was in park and idling, strange.
12/14/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when this is happening?
Also, is this a V6 or 4 cylinder engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No engine light on, it's a V6.

Thanks, ***** ***** me a moment to type my reply.

Thank you.

We have a few different things that could cause this. Each will have to be checked.

The first one is the mass air flow sensor. If it's reading wrong it can affect the fuel mixture and cause the surging. This doesn't normally cause the check engine light to come on. Sometimes you can unplug the sensor and drive the vehicle and if there is an improvement, you know the sensor is the cause of the problem and it should be replaced.

Secondly is the fuel pump. If the pump is weak, then when you try to accelerate and sometimes at cruising speeds there will be a surge due to the pressure changing. This won't set off the light either.

Finally and I think least likely would be a vacuum leak. This is more common with the idle searching than actually feeling it when driving.

These are the things that need to be checked to try and resolve the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Mike, that is just what I needed to find out. Have a Merry Christmas! George Kurtz

You're very welcome George and same to you!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer!

Thank you.

Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician