Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can't get my hood to pop so that I can reach the lever and…

Customer Question
Can't get my hood...

Can't get my hood to pop so that I can reach the lever and open my hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?

I hear almost like a scratching noise like it is trying to pop open but it is stuck somewhere or the cable has snapped and is scratching something

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Hyundai santa fe and its a 2008 I believe I am not sure it is my wifes car

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Santa Fe?

The santa fe is a 2007 I just looked it up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying to so I don't have to pay out of pocket. I have tried prying the hood open to hit the release latch but even hitting that it is not catching on the latch its stuck further down. I have tried putting wd40 on it to see if it was somehow stuck and I have tried getting to the wire to pull on it but it is inside a rubber casing and I can't get to it very well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried doing some research on it and it sounds like most people have a hard time fixing this and a lot of shops can't even fix it. so far the best videos I have seen has not worked such as keeping the hood release pulled while pushing on where the latch is and by trying to jam something through the small gap in the front of the hood and trying to pull the release

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/15/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Nissan mike, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Nissan mike
Nissan mike, Auto Mechanic

hello this is mike an expert form just answer. yes is sounds like the cable is broken and will need to be replaced. you will need to lift the car up and remove the splash sheilds and unbolt the latch manually to pen the hood it will take some time and be fustrating to do its not easy but can be done once open you will need to replace the cable and all will be be okay thank your for asking at just answer please rate me thank you