Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2017 Elantra Sport. I'd like to know how I can (temporarily)

Customer Question
2017 Elantra Sport. I'd like...
2017 Elantra Sport. I'd like to know how I can (temporarily) disable only the front passenger airbag.Child seat is normally in the back, as it should be, but when that is impossible, I have no choice but to temporarily install it in the front. Would like to disable passenger airbag in that case.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Vehicle has the "passenger airbag OFF" light in the center dash, so I assume it uses the OCS pressure sensor. Is there a way to short out the connector or switch underneath the passenger seat on a case by case basis? Like a manual switch that selects between "normal OCS operation" or "force off"...
12/14/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

you're correct in saying that there's a pressure pad in the seat that should disable the air bag until it sees a seat weight of about 30 Kg

so there should be no need to turn the airbag off manually

there's no factory switch on these later models to disable it I'm afraid

the best approach if you must place the child in the front is to move the seat as far back as possible to avoid the airbag

however if the OCS is all working correctly it will be disabled in any case

Oh and I'd avoid disconnecting wiring under the seat too as this will be registered as a 'fault' by the airbag system and turn all the airbags off

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Thanks for the reply.Simply disconnecting the under seat connector is not recommended for the reason you mention, yes, but how about connecting an in-line switch (bypass) between the passenger seat sensor ("A") and the car ("B")? In other words, a switch that connects to both A and B (instead of A-B being directly connected together)... One setting on the switch would give normal operation, as if the switch did not exist and OCS functions as normal. The other setting would give a signal of the OCS not detecting a passenger on the seat, thus disabling the passenger airbag. Theoretically it seems like a simple endeavor, though implementation perhaps somewhat involved.Can you provide a picture or diagram of what connectors are below the seat? Is there a pin-out from a shop diagram?Also, is the passenger airbag on/off logic also related at all to whether the passenger seatbelt is clicked in or not?

Hello

The trouble is with a bypass switch for the pressure sensor ( and I like the idea) is that the airbag diagnostics will be looking for a base level of resistance from the sensor at all times - if its not seeing it then again you'll turn on the airbag warning light

and the logic to look for a occupant is not involved with the seatbelt latch as too many Americans don't use belts

Seems like a simple resistor would do the trick... Can you look up the connector information? I know that Hyundai has a parts diagram (w/ catalog), there should be a section for the under seat sensors and such.

Sorry I don't haves access to that

I'll opt out and open this up to others

Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The government only allows manually disabling a passenger airbag on demand by the user if there is not a back seat in the vehicle, hence the lack of on/off switch. With an occupant classification system there are sensors that weigh the object in the seat and then the vehicle determines whether to operate the airbag or not, and at what force. Adding a switch or otherwise modifying the system to completely turn the airbag off could only legally be done by a shop under some strict conditions, and requires government authorization. You can obtain the form to start the authorization process here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/airbagswitchrequestform_03012017_v3.pdf

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting reference. However, as my car is registered and being operated in South Korea, I believe the US DOT authorization requirements do not apply to my particular case. Am I correct in understanding the request form is merely for legal permission, and not for any sort of technical assistance (eg. receiving an actual on/off switch)?I am looking for the following information:
1. diagram of the OCS connector location
2. part number or reference number of the connectors on both sides (to OCS sensor & to car)
3. (icing on the cake) pin-out/resistance values/ranges would be ideal, but I suspect I'll just need to break out a multimeter for this partCan you help out with these?

No, it will not be possible for anyone here to describe a way to defeat a safety system due to liability and legal requirements.

I am looking for the following information (found in a shop manual or similar) for education purposes:
1. diagram of the passenger seat OCS connector location on a 2017 Elantra/Avante Sport
2. part number or reference number of the connectors on both sides (to OCS sensor & to car)It is solely for informational purposes, and I alone am responsible for anything I may or may not do with this information. I have thoroughly read the literature on the risks regarding airbags. The car in question is registered and operated outside of the US, with no intentions to operate within the US.Looking for any productive input.
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

that information will not be provided.