Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It wont even try and turn over the engine when i try and…

Customer Question
It wont even try...

It wont even try and turn over the engine when i try and start it. It is a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. All of the diagnostics of the car check out when the key is turned to on, the power to the rest of the car (radio, HVAC, and lights) which I have by now turned off and have tried starting. When trying to start, there is no clicking, no starter sounds at all. It doesn't do anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in Park, and I have been able to get it into neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I thought maybe the battery didn't have enough power, amprage to to start the car, I tried to jump start it, and still when turning to key to the start position, the car did nothing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/11/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: davehop, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA.....have you tried to start it in neutral? We have issues with the Inhibitor Switch...neutral safety switch....and at times, by going back and forth from park to neutral it may start. Also make sure your stop lamps are coming on when you step on the brakes...if you have the push button starting system the brake lamps are a necessary input in order for the engine to start.
I tried starting it in neutral tonight (10-12 times). The stop lamps are coming on when I step on the brakes. I still cannot get it to start. Now what?
When you try to start it do you hear a click or does it make no noise at all?
No, no sound.
Shoot me your VIN number so I can see if your car has any recalls on it right now we currently have a recall on the inhibitor switch and I want to make sure your car is not one of those Vehicles that's needing a new Switch
I will have to send it to you later tonight. It is parked my driveway. And I am in a different location at work.