Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a question concerning my car, 2004 hyundai elantra…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a question concerning my car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 hyundai elantra manual tranny

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried a few things but to no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Hyundai
When i press the clutch to upshift the rpm shoots up as if the accelerator was being pressed as well.
12/4/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: camerontech, diagnostic auto tech replied 7 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, diagnostic auto tech

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

appologies for the late reply

I have seen this a few times with your range year of hyundai.

there are a couple of things to check and do.

1. check the tps voltage (throttle position sensor). the tps should be .5volts at idle and closed throttle

2. clean the mass airflow sensor. A dirty sensor will be slow and unresponsive to detect the airflow fast enough.

3. clean the iac (Idle air control) valve. a dirty or defective valve will cause idle hang up.

4. adaptive reset. disconnect the two battery terminals and hold them together with tape for 30 mins. this will reset all adaptive values in the engine computer and relearn the idle position

Let me know how you make out and if i can assist you further i would be happy to help!

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups after rating

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam

hi there

how did your repair go?

please dont forget to rate me as it is how i am compensated by just answer!

cam

Hi can
I did all what you mentioned. I replaced mass air flow sensor and iac valve, all to no luck. It's doing the same thing

is it a large rpm inrease?

i talked to a hyundai tech i know and he said some this is a normal operation.

i find this hard to believe.
i am going to have to opt out and open this up for another tech to jump in as these steps have always corected the problem.

please do not reply or it will lock to me again

thanks

cam

Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

I see that you replaced the IAC and mass airflow sensor but I'm not sure that any testing was done. There are a handful of things that could be going on including a vacuum leak, but erratic throttle position signal is a very likely cause for high idle.

Did you do anything other than replace these parts?

I tested the tps and it checks out fine. I disconnected the mass air flow sensor while the engine was idling and everything still works.

What specifically was done with the TPS?

I unplugged it while the engine was running and the idle was fluctuating then plugged it back and it was idling normally. There is no idling issue it idles fine. It's just the clutch thing.

Testing has to be done at the time the problem is happening, unplugging the TPS while the problem isn't happening won't tell you anything. The signal voltage is going to need to be monitored while driving and the problem is present.

Ok, well I guess that's the next step then.

If there are no vacuum leaks then that will be the next step.

Ok i will try that first.

Ok.