Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Hyundai SantaFe and it won't start all of a…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Hyundai...
I have a 2002 Hyundai SantaFe and it won't start all of a sudden. It started and drove great the last time it got parked.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
The vehicle was involved in a front and rear accident. The exhaust system is broken and is currently hanging down. I don't believe this could have an effect on startup. Also what would be the best way to put pag oil back into the system once i R & R the AC condenser ?
12/4/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine what is wrong. The problem may be wiring damage due to the body damage if it was severe enough, the engine may be disabled by the airbag system, you may have a sensor issue or the engine controller itself may have failed.

Did the airbags or seatbelt pretensioners deploy?

THE SRS system didn't deployed anything, airbags are intact. The only front end damage is the AC condenser that got pierced and i will be replacing the re bar that is slight bent. The vehicle was driving find until i parked it and let it sit for about 2 months. The battery has 12.8v and is very good.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?

I hear the fuel pump activate when i activate from my scanner only. I tried to listen, but i can't really hear it with turning the key, only with activation from the scanner.
I also don't have any codes.

Are cam and crank signals present and in sync?

i don't know how to check for those , but i did think about them.
isn't there a way that i can test for fuel pressure and spark at the engine ?

YOu can test for fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. Your first post said you checked for spark and found none. If that was not true then you do need to check for spark also.

I don't see a fuel rail with a shrader on this engine so i don't know how to test for gas at the engine and is my method correct for testing for spark ?

An adapter at the fuel line can be used to connect the gauge.

An adjustable spark tester is the best way to check for spark.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/ignition-tester/great-neck-adjustable-ignition-spark-tester/10257_0_0

ok be patient with me, tomorrow i will go to Harbor freight and buy these tools. In the mean time i also suspect a a bad computer under the dash in the center of the car.
what kind of gas adapter should i buy, can you send a link for it on the harbor freight site instead of Autozone

This kit would be adaptable to pretty much any vehicle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/master-fuel-injection-pressure-test-kit-62788.html

that is out of my budget for now, but i will just say the fuel pump works because i am definitely hearing it activate with my scanner. I am hearing the pump prime because i can control it with an on/off feature from the AUTEL

You may hear it running but that doesn't mean it is creating enough pressure to start the engine. Start by addressing spark though.

ok. i will check it in the day and get back to you. please be patient i will be back soon

Ok.

hi, i did not get the time to go to harbor freight yet and i just wanted to let you know that i will still need your help. i will come back as soon as i get the tester

Ok.

I bought a spark plug tester from harbor freight and the rubber boot is too short and flimsy, it can't go all the way down to connect on the spark plug. Will have to return and buy somewhere else.

Ok.