Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 hyundai accent and the gas cap is really hard…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 hyundai...
I have a 2002 hyundai accent and the gas cap is really hard to get off when refueling. I replaced the cap, purge valve, charcoal canister and replaced the dtm with a used one not new.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
12/3/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried lubricating the o ring and surface of the filler neck with a light film of grease ?

No i can try,

that should do the trick, they get really dry and thats what catches when you try to open

I tried it really didnt do anything. I was reading there is a vent valve which i bought but i can not find it any where.

thats not going to make getting a cap on or off easy or worse, and the vent valve is located under the vehicle close to the gas tank by the charcoal canister, is this a oem cap you have?

No you i buy a hyundai cap

so has it always been hard for you to get the cap off?

No only.the past few months. But whatbwas on there was not oem cap and i replaced it but it gates not oem

that could be the problem, do you have a pictures of the cap?

I was reading something about vacuum in the tank as a cause

but this happens every time you put the cap on and take it off right?

Not putting on just taking off

so that would rule out the vacuum issue, do other people say this cap is hard to take off?

?