Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car is surging when pressing throttle (while driving), shows…

Customer Question
Car is surging when...

Car is surging when pressing throttle (while driving), shows a P0121 code when scanned. Does the TPS need to be adjusted? Dried and or cleaned? Replaced? Other? Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Exact code on scan tool is P0121 - TPS, Poor Range Performance, one other item I can't remember right now. I cleared the code and rescaned, came up the same. However I'm thinking that clearing and resetting may not be the same. (I'm kinda all thumbs with cars)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2005 Sante Fe. 3.5L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to try depending on how complex. Checked a Haynes manual on replacing and adjusting, not sure if my scan tool can be used to adjust (will need to check up on if it is). Some oil may have con taminated the TPS (daughter put the car on its side in a snow filled ditch).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is about it right now. Thanks Pearl.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

hi, the tps simply needs to be replaced. when you start getting codes from them, they are too far gone to be cleaned, etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Hi Steve, I just back probed the yellow wire to the TPS. As I understand it, there should be 40-80mv with the key on and engine not running accelerate pedal at normal. When the pedal is pushed to full the reading should smoothly go to 5.0 volts. The reading I get without pressing accelerate pedal at all is 2.9-3.9 volts. I unplugged from the TPS and check voltage at yellow connector and it was still reading in excess of 3 volts.

oh, in that case it may be the pedal sensor - simple P codes can be misleading. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Is there anyway to check or test the pedal sensor?

unfortunately not without a high end scan tool. Please do not forget to click a positive rating