Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tail lights are staying on even after I change the brake…

Customer Question
Tail lights are staying...

Tail lights are staying on even after I change the brake light switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes also I have checked when I press the pedal after I change the brake light switch the brake lights himself still don't get brighter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and I change the brake light switch

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 5 months ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

If you push the plunger of the switch all the way in with a screwdriver do the lights go out?

Is it the tail light or bake lights staying on?

It's a brand new brake light switch should I push it all the way in all the way down ?

Yes, the plunger should be all the way in without holding the pedal off the rest. If it is not adjust the nuts to allow that.

It is the brake lights not the tail lights that are on?

It is the tail lights

Then it is not the brake light circuit that is the problem. Have you changed anything with the parking light circuit? Are the front light on?

There are two filaments in the rear bulbs, the tail lights that are dimmer than the brake lights. The tail lights turn on with the headlight switch, the brake lights come on with the brake pedal. Which lights are on?

No I have not changed anything in the parking light circuit tail light stay on all the time we have to disconnect the battery to the go off

If you unplug the brake switch do the lights go out?\

Are the front park lights on?

No sir they don't they stay on and the front lights are not on

OK, then it is the brake lights that are on not the tail lights.

Push the plunger of the switch all the way in and see if they go out. If they do adjust the switch position to just turn off the lights without holding the brake pedal off it's rest.

We need to be clear here.

If you unplug the brake switch the lights are still on? Yes or no?

they're still on

OK, then it is NOT the brake lights it is the tail lights

Can you pull the #27 then the #28 fuse from the under dash fuse block and see if first one goes out then the next does?

I was just reminded by my better half that the third brake light does stay on so it has to be the brake lights that are stuck on

But unplugging the brake switch does not turn it off?

If you pull fuse #14 in the under dash fuse block do all the lights go out?

No it still says on
No pulling number 14 they all go off

So pulling 14 the lights go out but unplugging the brake switch they stay on?

Odd, are you sure it is the brake switch you are unplugging?

It should have a green and green/ black wire without cruise or green, green/black, red and black/orange stripe wire with cruise.

Automatic or manual transmission?

it is the correct one I verified it also it is good as have cruise control

The cruise is a different switch within the brake switch. If the cruise works normally the brake portion of the switch is not.

I don't understand how you can pull the fuse for the brake lights and have them go out but unplugging the switch does not turn them off.

Is there trailer wiring on this vehicle?

Has there been any "creative" (non-factory) wiring done that you know about? Aftermarket alarm installed?

No sir no trailer hitch no extra wiring no extra speakers know nothing in this truck it's my sister's truck and she's had trouble with these lights for for a while but she just brought it to me today so I'm just at Within Myself I just figured a brake switch would fix it no problem the old brake switch was wore out but the new ones fine

Then being able to pull the fuse for power turns out the lights but unplugging the switch inline does not is beyond me.

If that is the case then power is getting pat the switch contacts somehow

I would have to be there to go further so I will OPT OUT of your question. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Does the brake lights stay on even disconnecting the brake light switch?

along with the third brake light
Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago

ok we need to follow the circuit in that area then

Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago

is this the 2.7?

Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago

does the brake light switch have 4 pins?

Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 5 months ago

The G/B wire, measure if it has voltage with the brake switch disconnected. It should not have power when the switch is disconnected. If it does, we will then have to look at the m47 joint connector and see what is giving it power.

Hyundai Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Its been a while, just seeing if there is any updates?

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis