Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Santa Fe 2003. Motor hood is locked. The latch of the motor…

Customer Question
Santa Fe 2003. Motor hood...
Santa Fe 2003. Motor hood is locked.The latch of the motor hood can not be released by pulling the lever. Likely the cable is broken.How can I open the motor hood? Is there an emergency mechanism to open the hood? Can I open the motor hood or do I need special tools and bring it to a Hyundai dealer?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Hyundai
11/18/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried pulling the lever continuously while someone else lifts on hood

that does not release the hood. as said before, likely the cable is broken (split into two parts).

if the cable is broken you will be able to pull it out from the latch location, try unhooking the cable from the inner latch and pulling on it with a pair of pliers, if that dosent work and you have a long screwdriver what you will want to do is locate the latch underhood and gently pry on the part of the latch where the cable is attached to to pop the hood

no, by a Santa Fe 2003 you can not reach with a long screwdriver the part of latch where the cable is attached if the motor hood is closed.

you have to go through the grill with the very long screwdriver

do you have any photos, diagrams, schematics that show what you are suggesting and that you can share?

OK so this is the best thing I could pull up, but you will see I have circled where the cable would enter the latch and where the cable attaches to would be the point where you want to pry out to pop the hood, you also can pry on cable to pop the hood, they dont make this easy as it was built to detour theft

Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

did you get it?

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician